Early Career Researcher Grant
- Wednesday 1 March 2023
- Thursday 27 April 2023
ECR Grant Information Webinar (register here)
- Monday 8 May 2023
Eligibility Exemption Requests due via SmartyGrants
- Monday 3 July 2023
Full applications due via SmartyGrants
- October 2023
Notification of outcomes
*PLEASE NOTE: Faculty Expression of Interest deadlines may also apply. Please see the table below (How to Apply) for further information.
The University of Melbourne’s Early Career Research (ECR) Grant scheme aims to support early career researchers to undertake high quality projects and pilot studies, strengthen their track records, and enhance their profile for competitive external funding. This scheme is a core part of the University’s research development strategy , which places a high priority on supporting ECRs.
Each successful project is funded by a matched commitment from Chancellery (50%) and the host faculties and departments (50%).
- Applicants from the faculties Architecture Building and Planning, Arts, Business and Economics, Education, Fine Arts and Music, and Law, may apply for between $5000 and $25,000 in research funding.
- Applicants from the faculties Engineering and Information Technology, Science, and Medicine Dentistry and Health Sciences, may apply for between $5000 and $40,000 in research funding.
How to apply
Review the funding documents
Review the Scheme Guidelines, FAQs and Instructions to Applicants documents for this scheme.
Review faculty processes
Ensure that you are aware of any additional submission requirements specific to your Faculty/School.
Faculty Contact Instructions Architecture, Building and Planning Matthew Scamporlino (abp-research),
Draft Smarty Grant Application Exported into PDF Format due to email@example.com no later than Monday the 15th of May 2023. Arts Arts Research Office, firstname.lastname@example.org Business & Economics* Ryan Perera, 9035 3863, email@example.com Notice of Intent Due: Friday 5 May
Draft project description and application form (PDF copy generated in SmartyGrants) to be submitted to FBE for review: Monday 29 May
Engineering and Information Technology FEIT Research Services, FEITfirstname.lastname@example.org Register for the FEIT support program Education email@example.com Please submit your draft project description and application form (PDF copy generated in SmartyGrants) for review to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 June 2023 Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences Tessa Grimmond, 9035 0995, email@example.com Submit directly to RIC Law Mas Generis, 8344 9983, firstname.lastname@example.org Science Veronica Loew, 8344 8236, email@example.com Submit directly to RIC Fine Arts & Music Adelene Auyong, firstname.lastname@example.org Expression of Interest due: Friday 31 March
Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences*
Tessa Grimmond, 9035 0995, email@example.com Submit directly to RIC
Eligible Affiliated Research Insititutes
*ECRs with honorary appointments who are employed by eligible affiliated research institutes may apply.
- Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre (PMCC)
- The Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
- Bionics Institute
- The Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute
- Melbourne Business School (MBS)
- Orygen/CYMH [noting that most staff of CYMH are directly employed by the University, meaning they can apply under 4.1(b) of the guidelines]
- MBS please follow any instructions from FBE.
- PMCC please provide review copy to Grants@petermac.org by 10am 19 June 2023.
- Other MRIs follow any instructions from MDHS.
If awarded, these grants will be administered via the UoM faculty/department.
Complete an eligibility exemption request
If applicable, complete the eligibility exemption request form via SmartyGrants.
Complete the application form via SmartyGrants
Remember to leave plenty of time to have the certification statement signed by your head of department. This will need to be uploaded into your SmartyGrants application form before you can submit.
Complete a Themis Grants Workbench Submission
Once your application is submitted in SmartyGrants, attach this final PDF to a Themis Workbench Submission (TS). The type of submission is "4 - internal grant sponsored by UoM" and the scheme name is "Early Career Researcher Grants Scheme - 2024 - JUL" (it should show up in the dropdown after a few moments once you start typing). The status needs of your submission needs to be "Forwarded to HoD" by the due date. We understand if there is a slight delay in receiving electronic approval from the HoD. Your faculty research office can assist you in the first instance if you are not familiar with this process. If you have further technical trouble with the submission, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org with your Themis submission number (TS) and we will try to assist.
Documents/links updated as of 1 May 2023.
- Please kindly ensure you have consulted the Scheme Guidelines, and FAQs and Instructions to Applicants prior to submitting a query.
- Kim Turner at email@example.com