- Monday 10 May 2021
- Thursday 27 May 2021
- 1:00-2:00pm (AEST)
ECR Grants Information Session - video below
- Monday 7 June 2021
Eligibility Exemption Requests due via SmartyGrants
- Monday 26 July 2021
- 3:00pm (AEST)
Applications due via SmartyGrants
- End of October 2021
Notification of outcomes
*PLEASE NOTE: Faculty Expression of Interest deadlines may also apply. Please see the table below (How to Apply) for further information.
The objectives of this scheme are to:
- Support early career researchers who demonstrate clear evidence of high research potential to progress their research careers;
- Encourage establishment of an early career researcher’s research program;
- Provide competitive funding for high quality research projects and pilot research projects;
- Provide early career researchers with experience in preparing a grant application for peer review;
- Build early career researchers’ track record in order to enhance competitiveness in bidding for external research funds;
- Provide research funding for projects that are strategically aligned with the University’s priorities:
Funding for successful applicants commences January 2022 for a period of 12 months. Grants will be awarded with a maximum of
- $25,000 for Architecture Building and Planning, Arts, Business and Economics, Education, Fine Arts and Music, and Law.
- $40,000 for Engineering, Science, Medicine Dentistry and Health Sciences, and Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences.
Half of awarded funding to successful projects is to be provided via co-contribution from your Academic Division.
How to apply
For all Faculties/Graduate Schools
Review the funding documents
Review the Funding Guidelines, FAQs and Instructions to Applicants documents for this scheme.
Review faculty/school processes
Ensure that you are aware of any additional submission requirements specific to your Faculty/School.
Faculty Contact Email Phone Process Architecture, Building and Planning firstname.lastname@example.org N/A Submit your draft project description and application form (PDF copy generated in SmartyGrants) for review to email@example.com by 1 July 2021. Arts Steph Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org (03) 8344 9161 No additional instructions Business and Economics Ryan Perera, email@example.com (03) 9035 3863 Submit your draft project description and application form (PDF copy generated in SmartyGrants) for review to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 28 June 2021. Education Veronica Loew, email@example.com (03) 8344 8236 Submit your draft project description and application form (PDF copy generated in SmartyGrants) for review to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 21 June 2021. Only selected applications will be invited to proceed to the final application stage. Engineering Libi Vojinović, FEITemail@example.com (03) 8344 3674 Support program offered to help you prepare your application. Email FEITfirstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. Fine Arts and Music Bernardo Jarrin, email@example.com (03) 9035 9412 Expressions of Interest should be submitted by 11:59pm Monday 31 May here. Law Mas Generis, firstname.lastname@example.org (03) 8344 9983 Contact Mas by Friday 28 May 2021 if you are interested in applying Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences Nikki Fisher, email@example.com (03) 8344 6330 After reviewing the funding documents, please refer to the MDHS advice listed here. Science Yu May Soh, firstname.lastname@example.org 8344 8269 Should you require a faculty review, please submit a draft application by 5th July 2021. Feedback to be returned to the applicant by 12th July 2021 for final submission. Please submit a draft proposal to the email@example.com inbox. Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences Timothy Crockett, firstname.lastname@example.org 03 8344 4637 Please email email@example.com with an expression of interest by COB Wednesday 2 June.
Complete an eligibility exemption request
If applicable, complete the eligibility exemption request form via SmartyGrants.
Complete the application form via SmartyGrants
Remember to leave plenty of time to have the certification statement signed by your head of department. This will need to be uploaded into your SmartyGrants application form before you can submit.
Complete a Themis Grants Workbench Submission
Once your application is submitted in SmartyGrants, attach this final PDF to a Themis Workbench Submission. Your faculty research office can assist you in the first instance if you are not familiar with this process. The type of submission is "4 - internal grant sponsored by UoM" and the scheme name is "Early Career Researcher Grants Scheme - 2022 - JUL". The status needs to be '"Forwarded to HoD" by the due date. We understand if there is a slight delay in receiving electronic approval from the HoD.
Documents for 2022 as of 10 May 2021:
- Please kindly ensure you have consulted the Funding Guidelines, FAQs and Instructions to Applicants prior to submitting a query.
- Kim Turner, Researcher Development Schemes
- Ph: + 61 8344 2708