- Monday 27 February 2023
- TBC 2023
- TBA (AEST)
ECR Grants Information Session
- Monday 8 May 2023
- 3:00pm (AEST)
Eligibility Exemption Requests due via SmartyGrants
- Monday 3 July 2023
- 3:00pm (AEST)
Full pplications due via SmartyGrants
- October 2023
Notification of outcomes
*PLEASE NOTE: Faculty Expression of Interest deadlines may also apply. Please see the table below (How to Apply) for further information.
The objectives of the Scheme are to:
- Support early career researchers who demonstrate clear evidence of high research potential to progress their research careers;
- Encourage establishment of an early career researcher’s research program;
- Provide competitive funding for high quality research projects and pilot research projects;
- Provide early career researchers with experience in preparing a grant application for peer review;
- Build early career researchers’ track record in order to enhance competitiveness in bidding for external research funds;
- Provide research funding for projects that are strategically aligned with the University’s priorities, Research at Melbourne and Advancing Melbourne.
Funding for successful applicants commences January 2024 for a period of 12 months. Grants will be awarded with a maximum of:
- $25,000 for Architecture Building and Planning, Arts, Business and Economics, Education, Fine Arts and Music, Law, and the Melbourne Business School.
- $40,000 for Engineering, Science, Medicine Dentistry and Health Sciences, and eligible affiliated Medical Research Institutes.
Half of awarded funding to successful projects is to be provided via co-contribution from your Academic Division or Institute.
How to apply
Review the funding documents
Review the Funding Guidelines, FAQs and Instructions to Applicants documents for this scheme.
Review faculty/school processes
Ensure that you are aware of any additional submission requirements specific to your Faculty/School.
Faculty Contact Instructions Architecture, Building and Planning Matthew Scamporlino (abp-research), 61383446729, firstname.lastname@example.org
EOIs due: TBC
Notification of EOI outcome: TBC
Arts Arts Research Office, email@example.com Business & Economics Ryan Perera, 61390353863, firstname.lastname@example.org NOI Due: Friday 5 May
Draft project description and application form (PDF copy generated in SmartyGrants) to be submitted to FBE for review: Monday 29 May
Engineering and Information Technology FEIT Research Services, FEITemail@example.com Register for support program (link TBC) Education firstname.lastname@example.org Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences Tessa Grimmond, 9035 0995, email@example.com Law Mas Generis, 8344 9983, firstname.lastname@example.org Science Veronica Loew, 03 8344 8236, email@example.com Submit straight to RIC Fine Arts & Music Adelene Auyong, firstname.lastname@example.org EOI due: Friday 31 March
Complete an eligibility exemption request
If applicable, complete the eligibility exemption request form via SmartyGrants.
Complete the application form via SmartyGrants
Remember to leave plenty of time to have the certification statement signed by your head of department. This will need to be uploaded into your SmartyGrants application form before you can submit.
Complete a Themis Grants Workbench Submission
Once your application is submitted in SmartyGrants, attach this final PDF to a Themis Workbench Submission. Your faculty research office can assist you in the first instance if you are not familiar with this process. The type of submission is "4 - internal grant sponsored by UoM" and the scheme name is "Early Career Researcher Grants Scheme - YYYY - MON". The status needs to be '"Forwarded to HoD" by the due date. We understand if there is a slight delay in receiving electronic approval from the HoD.
Documents for the upcoming grant round for 2024 will be provided when the scheme opens. The documents for 2023 are provided as reference:
- Please kindly ensure you have consulted the Funding Guidelines, FAQs and Instructions to Applicants prior to submitting a query.
- Kim Turner at email@example.com