- 7 July 2020
- 1:00-2:00pm (AEST)
ECR Grants Information Session (Zoom Webinar)
- Friday 12 June 2020
Round opens 3pm
- Monday 27 July 2020
Eligibility Exemption Requests due via SmartyGrants
- Wednesday 30 September 2020
- 3:00pm (AEST)
Applications due via SmartyGrants *DEADLINE EXTENDED
- Mid-December 2020
Notification of outcomes
*PLEASE NOTE: Faculty Expression of Interest deadlines may also apply. Please see the table below (How to Apply) for further information.
The objectives of this scheme are to:
- Support early career researchers who demonstrate clear evidence of high research potential to progress their research careers;
- Encourage establishment of an early career researcher’s research program;
- Provide competitive funding for high quality research projects and pilot research projects;
- Provide early career researchers with experience in preparing a grant application for peer review;
- Build early career researchers’ track record in order to enhance competitiveness in bidding for external research funds;
- Provide research funding for projects that are strategically aligned with the University’s priorities:
Funding for successful applicants commences January 2021 for a period of 12 months. Grants will be awarded with a maximum of
- $25,000 for Architecture Building and Planning, Arts, Business and Economics, Education, Fine Arts and Music, and Law.
- $40,000 for Engineering, Science, Medicine Dentistry and Health Sciences, and Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences.
Half of awarded funding to successful projects is to be provided via co-contribution from your Academic Division.
How to apply
For all Faculties/Graduate Schools
Review the funding documents
Review the Funding Guidelines, FAQs and Instructions to Applicants documents for this scheme.
Review faculty/school processes
Ensure that you are aware of any additional submission requirements specific to your Faculty/School.
Faculty Contact Email Phone Process Architecture, Building and Planning firstname.lastname@example.org N/A Submit your draft project description and application form (PDF copy generated in SmartyGrants) for review to email@example.com by Friday 4 September Arts Jacqui Randall, firstname.lastname@example.org (03) 8344 9284
No additional instructions.
Business and Economics Yasi Saninejad, email@example.com (03) 8344 1694 Submit your draft project description and application form (PDF copy generated in SmartyGrants) for review to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 26th August 2020 Education email@example.com (03) 8344 8236
Submit draft applications for review to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5.00pm Monday 7 September 2020. Only selected applicants will be invited to proceed to the final application stage.
Engineering MSEemail@example.com (03) 8344 3674
Support offered to prepare your application. E-mail MSEfirstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Fine Arts and Music Bernardo Jarrin, email@example.com N/A Expressions of Interest should be submitted by 11:59pm Monday 3 August. Law Mas Generis, firstname.lastname@example.org (03) 8344 9983
Contact Mas by Friday 10 July 2020 if you are interested in applying.
Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
(03) 8344 6160
No additional instructions. Science Kirsten Clark, email@example.com N/A No additional instructions. Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences Ceira Barr, firstname.lastname@example.org TBA
Submit your draft project description and application form (PDF copy generated in SmartyGrants) for review to email@example.com by Friday 14 August.
Complete an eligibility exemption request
If applicable, complete the eligibility exemption request form via SmartyGrants.
Complete the application form via SmartyGrants
Remember to leave plenty of time to have the certification statement signed by your head of department. This will need to be uploaded into your SmartyGrants application form before you can submit.
Complete a Themis Grants Workbench Submission
Once your application is submitted in SmartyGrants, attach this final PDF to a Themis Workbench Submission. Your faculty research office can assist you in the first instance if you are not familiar with this process. The type of submission is "4 - internal grant sponsored by UoM" and the scheme name is "Early Career Researcher Grants Scheme - 2021 - SEP". The status needs to be '"Forwarded to HoD" by the due date. We understand if there is a slight delay in receiving electronic approval from the HoD.
Documents for 2021 as of 12 June 2020
- Please kindly ensure you have consulted the Funding Guidelines, FAQs and Instructions to Applicants prior to submitting a query.
- Kim Turner, Researcher Development Schemes
- Ph: + 61 8344 2708