- Tuesday 8 October 2019
Release of 2020 Grant Guidelines
- Wednesday 9 October 2019
Applications open in RMS
- Wednesday 23 October 2019 (5.00pm)
Eligibility Exemption Requests due to RIC
- Wednesday 6 November 2019 (5.00pm)
Submit review ready application to RIC
- Monday 11 November 2019 (5.00pm)
Request not to assess due to RIC
- Wednesday 13 November 2019
Request not to assess due to the ARC
- Thursday 21 November 2019 (5.00pm)
Final Application Submission due to RIC
- Wednesday 27 November 2019
Final Applications due to ARC
- Wednesday 18 March 2020 (10:00am)
Rejoinders due to RIC
- Thursday 19 March 2020
Rejoinders due to ARC
- Third Quarter 2020
Outcomes 2020 Round
The objectives of the Future Fellowships grant opportunity are to:
- support excellent basic and applied research and research training by outstanding mid-career researchers to be recruited and retained by universities in continuing academic positions;
- support national and international research collaboration; and
- enhance the scale and focus of research in Australian Government priority areas.
The scheme provides funding for a Future Fellow’s salary at one of three salary levels, including 30 per cent on-costs for a four-year project. Additionally, up to $60,000 funding may be awarded per annum for Project costs. Project costs can be used to hire research personnel, support HDR students, equipment, consumables, Field Research, Travel, and dissemination costs. See the Grant Guidelines for more information.
From 2018 a Future Fellowship Candidate may be nominated on a maximum of 3 Future Fellowship applications over the period in which they are eligible.
ACTIVE PROJECTS AND ACTIVE PROJECT ASSESSMENT DATE
Active Projects mean a Project that is receiving funding according to the terms of the original Funding Agreement, or has any carryover funds approved by the ARC, or an approved variation to the Project’s end date. Therefore if a project has carried forward any funding and the end date has changed, the NEW end date determines an active project. Active projects can be viewed via the applicants RMS profile by selecting Person Profile > Current ARC Projects> end date.
The term Active Project Assessment Date is a scheme-specific date that nominates the date when Project and Proposal limit eligibility is assessed by the ARC.
The ARC will calculate active projects as at the closing time of submission of Proposals (and may calculate this rule again as other scheme rounds’ announcements are made and End of Year Reports are submitted.)
Funding Commencement Date
Active Project Assessment Date
Future Fellowship 2020
1 July 2020
1 January 2021
Future Fellowship candidates can apply for a FT20 while holding two DPs but must relinquish a DP (or their role on that Project) before commencing the FT20 in order to meet the limit of one Discovery Project and one Fellowship.
Establishment Grants for Future Fellows
Establishment Grants are internal grants to support ARC Future Fellows at the University of Melbourne. To be eligible for Chancellery support, matching funding must be provided by the host department/school/faculty on a 2:1 basis. Applications for Establishment Grants should be requested at the ARC Future Fellowship proposal stage. The scheme will be open to candidates applying to the 2019 ARC Future Fellowship round. Refer to the Establishment Grant webpage for details on how to apply.
How to apply
Submit a Notice of Intent (NOI).
The NOI should be completed early to provide RIC with the Future Fellowship candidate's contact details.
Update RMS profile
Complete the draft application in RMS
Statement by the Administering Organisation
Work on the Statement with your supervisor and department/faculty. The Head of Department must certify the 2020 Statement by the Administering Organisation Coversheet before submission to RIC. Please see Faculty specific review instructions here.
Academic Level Justification Letter
If applicable, work on the Academic Level Justification Letter with your supervisor and department/faculty. This Letter must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org at the same time as the Statement by the Administering Organisation so that RIC can arrange for the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) (DVC(R)) to certify it.
Eligibility Exemption Request
If applicable, complete the Eligibility Exemption Request form. This is a spreadsheet that details career interruptions for applicants whose PhD was awarded prior to 1 March 2005.
This form must be sent to email@example.com by Wednesday 23 October 2019 so that RIC can arrange for the DVC(R) to certify eligibility.
Submit review ready application to RIC
See the Submission Procedure webpage for information on review ready applications.
Submit application to RIC (firstname.lastname@example.org) within the RIC submission period. Submit the following:
- An electronic copy of the complete review ready draft application*, downloaded as a PDF from RMS.
- Applicants from Architecture, Building and Planning, Arts, Education, Law and Music and Veterinary and Agricultural Science please send your Statement by the Administering Organisation in a Word document (using the template letterhead provided below). Email this to email@example.com. Applicants from other faculties will have their statements reviewed by their faculties - see here for details.
- Academic Level Justification letter, if applicable. Use the template letterhead provided under RIC Support Documents. This needs to be included in your application. Please note this is only required if 1) you have selected 'Other' at question F14 within the Future Fellowship application and 2) you have chosen a salary level in Part E of the Future Fellowship application which doesn't align with your academic level (due to a significant career interruption).
*A 'review ready' draft application
- RMS Profile for personnel - should be updated because some parts of the application are auto-populated from the RMS profile
- Part A - Administrative Summary
- Part B - Classifications/Statistical Info
- Part C - Project Eligibility
- Part D - Project Description: This part can be incomplete, but should include Investigator/Capability, Benefit and Communication of Results sections in D1. For Architecture, Building and Planning, Arts, Education, Law and Veterinary and Agricultural Science applicants a finalised D2 Statement by the Administering Organisation approved by the HOD must also be submitted. All other Faculty applications please see your Faculty due dates for D2.
- Part E - Project Cost
- Part F - Participant Details including ROPE
Request Not To Assess
If applicable, the applicant should complete an electronic copy of the Request Not to Assess form if they would like to request the exclusion of a potential assessor. Email this to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Monday 11 November 2019.
Two RIC staff members will review the application and provide the applicant with feedback via email.
Complete the application
After taking feedback from the RIC team into consideration, complete the application in RMS. It is suggested advice is sought from colleagues, Faculty mentors, etc. before finalising the application.
Submit the UOM Authority to Submit form
- The Head of Department certification
- The applicant must read through the submission conditions and sign their initials next to each one to confirm that they have been met
Electronic signatures are permitted.
This is an ARC requirement and the application cannot be submitted to ARC until the Authority to Submit form is received.
Before 5:00pm on 21 November 2019, the applicant must:
- Submit their final application by clicking ‘Submit to Research Office’ in RMS.
- Email RIC (email@example.com) a pdf copy of the final application and a scanned, signed Authority to Submit form.
Note: Applications without a completed Authority to Submit form cannot be submitted to the ARC.
RIC will submit the application
Once RIC has submitted the application to the ARC, you will receive an email from RIC confirming submission.
- 2020 Future Fellowships Funding Guidelines
- Changes to ARC Guidelines
- 2020 Future Fellowships Instructions to Applicants
- Cross-Scheme Eligibility FAQ's
- Request Not to Assess form
- 2020 Future Fellowships Sample Application Form
- ARC College of Experts members
- ARC Medical Research Policy
- ARC Discovery Programs outcome statistics
- Australian Government Science and Research Priorities
- Notice of Intent (NOI)
- 2020 Future Fellowship Drafting Guide
- 2020 RIC Eligibility Exemption Request Calculator - NEW!
- 2020 Future Fellowships Applicant Guide - NEW!
- 2020 Salary Scales and Budget Preparation - REVISED!
- 2020 Guide to Completing the Statement by Admin Org (Section D2) - NEW!
- 2020 Statement by Admin Org Coversheet (Requires HOD sign off) - NEW!
- 2020 Statement by Admin Org Template letterhead - REVISED!
- 2020 Academic Level Justification Template letterhead (Section F15) - NEW!
- 2020 Part F6 Template - NEW!
- 2020 Authority to Submit form - NEW!
- Research Impact Library Advisory Service (RILAS)
- Research at Melbourne Strategy
- Grants Library of Successful Applications
- 2020 College of Expert Members - FOR Codes
- Advice on Research Data Management - Successful Future Fellowship applicants are required by the ARC to prepare a data management plan - to be held on file at RIC and made available to the ARC upon request - before their fellowship commences.
Seminars and Workshops
- Fellowship Preparation for Women - 14 August 2018 - Agenda - Slides - Video
- 2020 Future Fellowships Seminar - 4 October 2019 - Agenda - Slides - Audio
- 2020 Rejoinder fact sheet
- 2019 Rejoinder information session slides
- 2019 Rejoinder information session video
- RIC do not review and provide feedback to applicants on their rejoinder content.
- Assessor comments should only include details on the Investigator/Capability, Project Quality and Innovation, Benefit and Feasibility and Strategic Alignment. Assessors should not be commenting on Eligibility and Compliance. If you identify an assessment that contains inappropriate elements you may wish to have this reviewed by the ARC. You can do this by completing an ARC Assessment Review Request form within 3 working days after the opening of the Rejoinder period. Please note that applicants should never contact the ARC directly. Always speak to your Faculty or RIC first.
- Future Fellowships questions and primary email
|Scott Chambers||+61 3 8344 5839|