Victorian Cancer Agency Fellowships
17 May 2022
Applications open in SmartyGrants system
- 10am - Tuesday
5 Jul 2022
Internal date for review by RIC
- 10am - Wednesday
20 Jul 2022
Final submission due to RIC
- 2pm - Tuesday
26 Jul 2022
Final submission due to VCA in SmartyGrants
The Victorian Cancer Agency (VCA) Early and Mid-Career Research Fellowship schemes are designed to support early and mid-career researchers undertaking high-quality translational cancer research. These fellowships provide funding to attract and retain talented individuals in the field of cancer research in Victoria. Both fellowships support the salary of the researcher and direct research costs of undertaking the research project.
Both fellowships include 2 streams:
- Biomedical - Includes laboratory-based research for any aspect of translational biomedical research relevant to cancer
- Non-biomedical (incorporating nursing, allied health, health services research and prevention research) - Includes any aspect of translational research to improve cancer outcomes. Laboratory-based researchers are not eligible to apply under this stream.
|Post-doctoral experience*||Funding and Durations|
|Early-Career Research Fellowship||1 ≤ 5 years post-PhD or equivalent||$330,000 over 3 years ($110,000 p.a.)|
|Mid-Career Research Fellowship||5 ≤ 15 years post-PhD or equivalent||$700,000 over 4 years ($175,000 p.a.)|
*Please note that applicants who have exceeded the 5- or 15-year post-PhD eligibility requirement (for ECRF and MCRF, respectively) due to disruptions from COVID-19 may apply for exemption from this requirement by providing an exemption request detailing how their research was disrupted during the COVID-19 pandemic (ECRF and MCRF templates). If requesting exemption, please provide this letter, fully completed and signed by your Head of Department/School, and evidence of COVID-19 disruption (e.g. confirmation from HoD of laboratory closures) to RIC as soon as possible so that it can be submitted to VCA and assessed early enough to allow time for completion of your application.
Consumer Engagement - Mandatory
The VCA requires researchers to actively involve consumers and the community in their proposed research. A “consumer” is any person who is or has been affected by cancer and could be a cancer patient or a carer/family member. Applicants must describe the extent of consumer involvement throughout the proposed project including the design, conduct, review, implementation and communication stages of the research.
Early-Career Research Fellowship (ECRF)
- The ECRF objectives are to:
- Support high-quality cancer research conducted by early career researchers who are able to demonstrate clear evidence of translational research capacity.
- Provide a means of enhancing the competitiveness of early career researchers to enable them to leverage further funding from granting bodies or industry, and facilitate collaboration related to the research project.
- The ECRF scheme is restricted to researchers who are at least 1 year but ≤5 years post-PhD or equivalent. As of 26 July 2022, applicants must have at least 12 months of continuous research work experience post the award of their research doctorate. Also, applicants must not have held, at any stage, a VCA grant or fellowship (e.g. an Early Career Seed Grant) or any nationally competitive fellowship or project funding as Chief Investigator A of equal to or greater than this fellowship (i.e. $110,000 p.a.).
- The maximum amount that can be requested is $110,000 per annum (p.a.) up to a total of $330,000 over 3 years. Funding components include salary support up to $85,000 p.a., on-costs capped at 25% of salary, and direct research costs (capped at $50,000 p.a.).
Mid-Career Research Fellowship (MCRF)
- The MCRF objectives are to:
- Support high-quality cancer research conducted by mid-career researchers who can demonstrate clear evidence of translational research capacity.
- Provide funding as a means of enhancing the competitiveness of mid-career researchers to enable them to leverage further funding from granting bodies or industry.
- The MCRF scheme is restricted to researchers who are at least 5 years but ≤15 years post-PhD or equivalent. As of 26 July 2022, applicants will have between 5-15 years of experience post research qualification, committed to pursuing a leadership role in cancer research.
- The maximum amount that can be requested is $175,000 per annum up to a total of $700,000 over 4 years. Funding components include salary support up to $130,000 p.a., on-costs capped at 25% of salary, and direct research costs (capped at $50,000 p.a.).
- Senior established investigators will not be considered, this includes applicants who:
- have held or currently held any portion (i.e. salary or research support package) of a Leadership Levels 1-3 NHMRC Investigator Grant as Chief Investigator
- have held or currently hold a research fellowship of equal or greater value than this fellowship (that is $130,000 per annum for salary, excluding on costs or an equivalent pro-rata of this award);
- have been appointed to a full Professorial position (including Adjunct, Clinical, Conjoint, Honorary, etc. positions) by an institution or have a full Professorial title at the time of application.
Please note that all VCA documentation relating to these schemes can be found via the VCA Fellowships page. Application is submitted via an online grant application form through SmartyGrants system. If you need more help using this form, download the Help Guide for Applicants or check out Applicant Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Low-Survival Cancer Philanthropic Research Fellowship Scheme
This year the Early and Mid-Career research fellowships will incorporate a Low-Survival Cancer Philanthropic Research Fellowship scheme, which will involve up to four additional non-financial partnerships with philanthropic organisations to provide a named fellowship (Early or Mid-Career) to the top ranked applicant in that tumour stream - LiverWELL, Lung Foundation Australia, Ovarian Cancer Australia, and Pancare Foundation
The intended outcomes this scheme will be the prioritisation of low-survival cancer research and increased awareness of the work of the low survival cancer philanthropic partners.
To be eligible the project must demonstrate a primary focus on one or more of the following low-survival cancers; ovarian, lung, liver, or pancreas. The proposed work must relate to the causes, prevention, support and wellbeing, diagnosis or treatment of the cancer.
The proposed research must be limited to primary cancers of the ovaries, lung, liver and/or pancreas. Other primary cancers (e.g., breast cancer) that metastasise to ovaries, lung, liver and/or pancreas are beyond the scope of this scheme.
Given the greater value of the Mid-Career Research Fellowship, recipients will initially be selected from the Mid-Career Research Fellowship scheme. If no applications are eligible or meet the minimum threshold, the next highest ranked and eligible application within the Early Career Research Fellowship scheme will be awarded. Recipients may be selected from either the Biomedical or Non-Biomedical scheme.
Applicants interested in this scheme must meet all other eligibility criteria required for the VCA Early-Career or Mid-Career Research Fellowship scheme.
How to apply
Steps to be completed by Chief Investigator A (CIA):
Review the funding documents & Submit an Expression of Interest to RIC
The CIA should read VCA Guidelines and Funding Rules for ECRF or MCRF. Contact RIC (firstname.lastname@example.org) to express your interest and indicate which scheme you like to apply for. If you intend to request COVID-19 exemption from the 5-/15-year requirement, please provide the exemption request letter, fully completed and signed by your Head of Department/School, and evidence of COVID-19 disruption (e.g. confirmation from HoD of laboratory closures) to RIC as soon as possible so that it can be submitted to VCA and assessed early enough to allow time for completion of your application.
Complete draft application & email to RIC for review
Register for an account and complete the draft application in SmartyGrants. Select "Download PDF" within your application and email a complete draft application that is review ready (including supporting documents) to RIC for review by 10am Tue 5th July 2022. A hardcopy is not required.
Complete the application after feedback
After taking feedback from RIC into consideration, complete the application in SmartyGrants. Upload all documents and paying special attention to formatting requirements and file naming conventions. It is suggested to seek advice from colleagues, Faculty Mentors, etc. before finalising the application.
Obtain email consent from Co- & Associate-Investigators
Associate/Co-investigator consent is required prior to final signing by RIC. Below is suggested wording for Co- and Associate-investigator's consent to be named in the application, please feel free to modify it as you see fit:
I certify that:
1. I agree to be named as an [Associate Investigator/Co-Investigator] on this [insert application type] (insert application number), to participate in the manner described, and
2. I agree with the final application being certified on my behalf by the applicant
Obtain Certification by Administering Organisation
Submit your final application and the following PDF supporting documents to RIC by 10am Wed 20th July 2022. Please ensure these documents adhere to VCA preferred naming convention, examples for are provided below:
- Chief Investigator Research Output - ECRF and MCRF templates (e.g. "ECRF22001 Smith Research Output" or "MCRF22001 Smith Research Output and Leadership")
- List of publications - ECRF and MCRF templates (e.g. "ECRF22001 Smith Publication List" or "MCRF22001 Smith Publication List"),
- Head of Research Team report (to be co-signed by your Head of Department/School and lab head) - ECRF and MCRF templates (e.g. "ECRF22001 Smith Head of Research Team" or "MCRF22001 Smith Head of Research Team"),
- Completed Research Proposal Template - ECRF and MCRF templates (e.g. "ECRF22001 Smith Research Proposal" or "MCRF22001 Smith Research Proposal"),
- Completed Consumer Evaluation Panel Form template - ECRF and MCRF templates (e.g. "ECRF22001 Smith Consumer Evaluation Panel Form" or "MCRF22001 Smith Consumer Evaluation Panel form"),
- COVID-19 exemption request, fully completed and signed by your Head of Department/School (if applicable) - UOM ECRF and MCRF templates (e.g. "ECRF22001 Smith COVID-19 exemption request" or "MCRF22001 Smith COVID-19 exemption request") - please note that this should be sent to RIC as soon as possible if required, so that VCA can assess the exemption request in good time
- Part-time supporting documentation (if applicable) (e.g. "ECRF22001 Smith Professional part-time" or "MCRF22001 Smith Professional part-time")
- Completed Administering Organisation Certification Form - ECRF and MCRF templates (e.g. "ECRF22001 Cert AO" or "MCRF22001 Cert AO"),
- Completed Research Organisation Certification Form (if different than Administering Organisation) - ECRF and MCRF templates (e.g. "ECRF22001 Cert RO" or "MCRF22001 Cert RO"), and
- Email consent from all co-investigators and associate-investigators
RIC will conduct a compliance check before arranging for sign-off on the Administering Organisation Certification Form. The signed form will be returned to you, please upload it to your SmartyGrants application.
Submit the application in SmartyGrants
CIA will need to submit the application in SmartyGrants and will receive a submission confirmation email from SmartyGrants with the final application attached. Please forward this to RIC (email@example.com).
- Organisation: The University of Melbourne
Organisation’s ABN: 84 002 705 224
Department: Research, Innovation and Commercialisation
Postal Address: 161 Barry Street, Carlton, VIC 3053
Web address: http://research.unimelb.edu.au
Grant Officer: Wade Moore
Phone: (03) 9035 7945
Authorised Signatory: Dr David Robson
Position: Director, Research Grant and Contract Services
- ECRF/MCRF Head of Research Team support letter template available to UoM staff only (UoM login required).
- COVID-19 Exemption forms: ECRF and MCRF templates available to UoM staff only (UoM login required).
- Victorian Cancer Agency 2022 Funding Round Frequently Asked Questions (Word)
- Victorian Cancer Agency 2022 Funding Rules (Word)
- Early-Career Research Fellowship
- Mid-Career Research Fellowship
P: +61 3 8344 4652