Held in June, the Yirrkala Conference was a five-day workshop for national and international scholars, including senior indigenous leaders at Yirrkala, in northeast Arnhem Land, Northern Territory.
As well as the heads of our research program 'Postnational Art Histories' (Prof Charles Green, Prof Ian McLean & Prof Claire Roberts), also amongst the group were:
- Dr James Elkins, E.C Chadbourne Chair of Art History at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- Professor Terry Smith, Andrew W. Mellon Professor of Contemporary Art History at the University of Pittsburgh
- Wukun Wanambi, Artist and Director of ANKAA (Association of Northern, Kimberley and Arnhem Aboriginal Artists)
- Dr Helen Hughes, Research Curator at Monash University Museum of Art
- Carol Yinghua Lu, Contributing editor at Freize Magazine and Advising Director at Beijing's 'Inside-Out' Museum